26.10.10

How to: Organize your closet!

Being away for 6 months in Milan really forced me to re-evaluate all of the things in my closet. I had so many new amazing purchases and so little space to store it all. The night I got back three of my closest girlfriends and I had a closet cleaning party – best thing I have ever done. For the first time in about 5 years I can actually close the closet door. Imagine that!

Here is a step-by-step guide to helping you clean out your closet.

1.     Start with a clean slate. Take everything out of your closet. As you are taking things out putting them into piles is key. (1) Keep – a good rule for all my keep pieces is ask the question; have I worn this in the last 6 months? (2) Repair – many pieces sit in your closet unworn because they need minor alterations or repairs, this is a great opportunity to do this & (3) Donate- I tend to bring all my old designer goods to extoggery in Toronto and the rest to a local charity.

2.     Figure out your needs. Now, think about what’s necessary to make your system work better before you purchase anything. Do you need some baskets for sweaters or more shelf space? If so, look for practical storage solutions such as vertical storage (IKEA has some great storage solutions.) Tip: make sure you take measurements before your out to buy. 

3.     Give everything a spot. Make sure you assign spots. Put items you use most at arms length, then arrange items by type: jeans, dress pants, skirts, dresses, ect.

4.     Keep things uniform. Matching hangers is a must for me. Helps in keeping everything uniform and is just very visually appealing. Making sure all of the clothing is facing in the same direction is also very important.

5.     Sort accessories. Coil all belts and put them in bins along with scarves and socks/ tights.

TIP: Closet cleaning can be a really great opportunity for you to create outfits in your wardrobe. You will be amazed to discover so many things you forgot you had (I found many with tags still on … eekk.)

1.     Hangers $4.49 from IKEA
2.     Green storage boxes $5.99 (2 pack) from IKEA
3.     Storage with compartments $20.00 from IKEA

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails